WELCOME to the IMpower Project!
Did you know?
- Suicide is the third leading cause of death in youth ages 15 to 24. More teenagers and young adults die from suicide than from cancer, heart disease, AIDS, birth defects, stroke, pneumonia, influenza and chronic lung disease combined.*
- Over 90 percent of children and adolescents who commit suicide have a mental disorder.*
- In the United States in the year 2002, almost 4,300 young people ages 10 to 24 died by suicide.*
- States spend nearly $1 billion annually on medical costs associated with completed suicides and suicide attempts by youth up to 20 years of age.*
*Statistics copied from http://www.nami.org. We have more information about NAMI (National Alliance on Mental Illness) on our “help and support” page.
What is the IMpower Project?
Technically, it’s a foundation (organization offering financial support to other folks who are doing cool things or to folks in need). But we prefer to call it a grassroots, non-for-profit collaborative rather than a “Foundation.” Our first focus is on suicide prevention and intervention and working to launch “empowerment” initiatives in our schools and communities.We will not petition for government grants or other forms of tax payer dollars. (Please see the WHAT WE DO page for more information about fund raising).
Our intention is consensual giving, people consciously choosing to help and uplift others. We will initially serve the Tri-County area (Pinellas, Sarasota and Manatee counties). We’re starting locally with the intention of serving globally.
Our Mission Statement
“To provide comprehensive physical and financial support and prevention for individuals at risk of suicide, primarily through, but not limited to, supportive funding of existing programs and centers which provide extensive and protracted support for individuals in need and at risk as well as creating and implementing educational programs designed to nurture an internal and external environment conducive to life affirming decision making.”
Informally, we’re a group of everyday, fun loving, caring, compassionate people who saw a need and wanted to DO something to help.
Our overarching intent is to IMpower, inspire, encourage and support LIVING purposeful, peaceful, happy and fulfilling lives. A peaceful, healthy, happy planet is dependent on peaceful, healthy, happy people. The name of the project is pronounced both “I’M power” and “empower” because when we can acknowledge, own and affirm our own strength and power, when we REALize ourselves, we can live our best lives and in turn empower and support others in doing the same.
Suicide ends ALL possibility of living a BEST life, thus we are directing ALL our energy, focus and attention on suicide prevention and intervention with a big focus on PREVENTION.
Please see the WHAT WE DO page for detailed information about our plans and goals and to learn more about how you can help. One simple, fast and easy way you can help right now is by purchasing the download to your right.
We hope you enjoy your visit! Please, stop by once in a while, say “hi” and see what’s new. Since we’re a new(er) organization, we’ll be adding content and information regularly; arranging and rearranging as we settle in. We would love to hear from you! If you have a story, information about resources that you don’t see on this site, or suggestions, please contact us. We look forward to hearing from you!!
We’ve created this site to:
- offer resources, help, support and services to those in need
- increase public awareness about these issues with the intent of expanding services, creating an environment of understanding and acceptance and saving lives
- serve as an educational resource
- offer an opportunity to take an active role in helping minimize or eradicate the loss of life
- offer an opportunity to take an active role in implementing positive, self-esteem building programming in our schools and communities
- create an IMpower community network